What is endometriosis?
Endometriosis – the buildup of endometrial (uterine lining) tissue outside the uterus — in or on the fallopian tubes, ovaries and pelvic area–.
Symptoms include painful menstruation and frequent and severe bleeding.
What causes endometriosis?
It is believed to be caused by or worsened by estrogen dominance (too much estrogen in relation to progesterone).
Make sure your estrogen -progesterone levels are balanced. The blood test is considered to be unreliable compared to the highly accurate saliva testing that women can ask from her doctor.
How to treat endometriosis without drugs – Most Important 5 Steps
1. Estrogen – progesterone balance ; This can be obtained with clean diet, exercise and detox. Often times, only relieving someone of lifelong constipation will lead to clearing up endometriosis. According to multiple studies, the estrogen dominance in our systems is clearly evident and only by balancing this equation with natural progesterone will most likely result in symptom relief and even shrink rogue endometrial tissue.
2. No commercial meat and dairy = xenoestrogens from hormone-inflated animals which by now we know it’s the case with all commercial meat and dairy. This xenoestrogen acts like natural estrogen and upsets the hormonal level discussed above. Plus, studies have shown that xenoestrogen lead to reproductive organs major issues and infertility.
3. No soy – soy protein, soy products. Soy pushes the production of estrogen. Most of the soy on the market is GMO, which has a double action on fertility issues.
4. Normalize the adrenal hormones first – which in turn normalize the progesterone levels. It’s done by keeping a clean diet and addressing the emotional stresses which hinder the adrenal glands. The adrenals are the principal biological balancing factor between estrogen and progesterone. We need the adrenals to function properly if we want balance between these two hormones. Stress-reduction technique go a long way (meditation, walks in nature, play with pet, prayer, EFT, massage, baths, soothing music, etc)
5. No sugar + fermented vegetables. Yeast infections are very common among patients with endometriosis. This usually comes from a diet full of sugars (including refined sugars in white pasta, bread, rice), and lack of a good gut-ecology. Probiotics lead to a good gut-ecology and are naturally produced in fermented vegetables. Probiotic supplements are also good, but the natural way is the best way.
1. Calcium/Magnesium – to help the liver more efficiently metabolize hormonesand to prevent spasms and tension in muscles and nerves
2. Vitamin B complex
3. Vitamin D
4. Iron (max 60mg) to help relieve iron deficiency that may result from excessive bleeding.
5. Natural progesterone cream, called bioidentical progesterone (find at compounding pharmacies). Only prescribed by a doctor. Not advisable if you can do the other steps.
DETOXIFICATION Program for patients with Endometriosis
– by Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.
- A high fiber diet
- Onions and garlic to help chelate toxins from the body
- Sauna therapy Epsom salt baths and hydrotherapy
- Liver support with milk thistle (up to 240 mg. daily, in divided doses) and other safe herbs in liver support formulas
- Eliminating elements of stress that can cause adrenal fatigue and toxic stress levels
The Foundation for The Advancement of Endocrine Research: 1218 S. Eastern Ave. Las Vegas, Nevada 89104. Tel: 323-450-7101. Hormonal research information (physicians only please).
Dr. William Crook, author of The Yeast Connection and The Yeast Connection and Women’s Health
Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D., is health advisor to Woman’s Health Connection at www.yeastconnection.com and is featured on the website’s “Ask A Pro” page. Her latest books are The Miracle of Magnesium and Natural Prescriptions for Common Ailments.